Saturday, October 07, 2006

Face To Fate Review

Information

Cast: Frankie Lam, Raymond Lam, Tavia Yeung, Selena Lee, Anne Heung

Number of Episodes: 30

Producer: Koon Wing Chung

Themesong by: Raymond Lam

Sub themesong by : Frankie Lam and Tavia Yeung

Released Date: 23rd August 2006 (overseas)

I have been trying to write my own review for Face to Fate, but keep finding myself repeating the words of this review from www.tvfansquare.com. It said many things I wanted to say. It also has a really clear summary, which explains the story very well. So, you might want to read it as well, before reading my personal review. (Do read my review though! ><)

Read here:
http://main.tvbsquare.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=35

Below are some of my additional thoughts.


Love Factors

Raymond and Selena

Surprisingly, I do like Raymond and Selena’s chemistry in this series. In fact, I find it the best love chemistry in the entire series. Maybe due to the fact that both their characters are so clever with their words, their bickering scenes are a great fun to watch. As for Selena’s performance, I find it acceptable. If you try watching this series in the Mandarin-dubbed version, you might like her more, because the way she speaks can be a LITTLE weird AT TIMES. Hehe…

Frankie + Raymond

Both Frankie and Raymond are smart, sometimes one will be smarter than the other. Frankie is the really good one, Raymond is the not-so-good one, but no matter what, they still admire and treasure each other. Anyway, you will enjoy the whole process of their partnership very much. Unfortunately, Raymond turned against Frankie at the end. He even ‘killed’ Frankie. Awww!

The Other Interesting Characters

Talking about interesting characters, the first person I thought of was Master “Kau Sei”. You might find him annoying, you might think that he is too fat (I do too!), but I still find him really interesting, and funny. Another character I like is the ghost doctor. You might hate him at the beginning, but start to like him later on for his filial piety. He and Raymond turned from enemies to friends. Sadly, he still died in Raymond’s hands. Aww! L Besides the ghost doctor, each of the 5 participants has their own story. Some are interesting to learn, some are pretty silly, but you will still like them.

Raymond’s lines

Perhaps due to his disease, Raymond’s character has this very unfriendly attitude towards the people around him. He often likes to say things to piss everyone off. But as the audience (like ME J ), we just can’t help loving everything he says. Here are a few examples I can remember, and djfrostbite conveniently compiled them into a medical prescription called “The Seven Hates Of Lai Yeuk Yee”. Hehe…


赖药儿七大恨

第一恨:三不医:一无钱不医,二不喜欢的人不医,三心情不好不医。

Translation: I, Lai Yeuk Yee have 3 'no cures': when one has no money, when I don’t like the person, when my mood is bad.

第二恨:我一向喜欢花钱在女人身上

Translation: I always love spending money on women.

第三恨:我对女人很容易动情,也很容易动怒。

Translation: Women make me fall in love easily, but they also make me mad easily. (I love this line!)

第四恨:我赖药儿生性风流,见一个爱一个,见两个爱一双.

Translation: When I see one, I like one, when I see two, I like a pair.

第五恨:动情伤身,痴情伤心。

Translation: I don’t know how to translate this. Basically, it is trying to say that if you fall in love, you are likely to hurt yourself. I love this line, but I don’t agree with it. ~.~

第六恨:我不对你动怒难道动情啊?

Translation: (to the ghost doctor) You don’t want me to be angry with you, so you want me to fall for you? (HAHA!)

第七恨:真小人好过伪君子

Translation: A real petty man is better than a hypocrite gentleman.


Dislike Factors:

Sum Sing Lam (John Chiang)

He is such a horrible person. Even Gor Xu Tin is better than him. Refer to my seventh hate above to see why. (:

The Outfits: what are they thinking???

Overall, none of the outfits here impressed me, I’m fine with that. BUT, there were a few HORRIBLE ones which were a serious eyesore for me. I’m referring to those things that the people of the ‘tin yuk gong’ wear. Those things are weird, ugly and bulky. They look more like toys than human beings to me. Also, I have something to say about Raymond’s hair. I think the idea of Raymond+ white hair is cool, but it just wasn’t stuck onto Raymond’s head so nicely. Remember there was one scene where Raymond pretended to be the brother of the “hiding sword master”? Gosh, that hairstyle really rocks. I just hope he could use that hairstyle throughout the series, not just half an episode. L

The Computer Effects

This computer thingo is really invading into all the tvb series I like, and it gets a little too much in this series. I remember there was one scene where Nancy and Derek stabbed each other. I was SO going to love that scene, then suddenly, the sky changed colour, and there was this ‘spinning around in circles’ thing. Gosh, that looked so stupid, it spoiled my impression of the whole scene. Sometimes I really wonder why the producers want to destroy their own piece of work, to upset poor fans like me?

Pity Factors:

Anne Heung

She may be in love with Frankie, but she was still loyal to her husband no matter what, only to die in his hands. What a poor woman…

How Come Factors:

The familiar sword

The ‘hiding sword master’ has this powerful sword, which appears at the beginning of the theme video, remember? But wait, isn’t that Raymond’s “fook yu” sword in LWOLAP? Is TVB trying to save money or what?

Matt Yeung vs Tavia Yeung

3 years ago, in The W Files, Matt played the second male lead, as Tavia’s lover. Last year, in Shades Of Truth, Matt played a tiny supporting role, aka Tavia’s little brother. This year, in Face to Fate, Matt played Tavia’s little junior. He was just one of the unnoticeable Flying Fish disciples among the entire CROWD of them. It was totally a calefare role, or what some people call, ‘the walking prop’ kind of role. Mmm, what is up with that?

Missing Scenes

In episode 23, Tavia found out the Gor Xu Tin is her father. Their conversation there implies that they have seen each other before. BUT, have you seen such a scene? I don’t think there is one. The producers shouldn’t have deleted that part, because it makes the story incoherent. Also, in the ending theme video, there was this scene of Raymond, Selena and Siu San putting flowers on their head or something. Unfortunately, it was also nowhere to be found in this series. Aww! I really NEEDED to watch that scene! I could think of a dozen better scenes to delete, just don’t mess with my dear Raymond parts! L

SO SWEET!!

The Ending

The ending between Tavia and Frankie was so rushed. All of a sudden, Tavia takes control of ‘tin yuk gong’, and she cannot leave with Frankie. All of a sudden, Tavia can leave the ‘tin yuk gong’, with no explanation why or whatsoever. Basically, the ending was such a blah…

Favourite Scenes:

- The whole part where injured Raymond hid in Selena’s inn, and Selena took care of him

- When Raymond and Selena hugged in episode 16, I love that hug ~.~

- Basically, any scene with Raymond and Selena

- Any scene with Raymond and Frankie

- When Raymond’s brother died, Raymond cried really sadly. The next day, he walked out of the hut, all his hair turned white in one night. That was quite a dramatic moment.

- There was this scene, where Master Kau Sei made Frankie predict the weather. Frankie said it would be a sunny day, and then straight away, lightning and thunder struck. I didn’t see that coming, haha!

Least Favourite Scenes/ Plots:

- Bak Ching Xu and Kong Bik Ling- what a stupid story! Are the producers kidding me?!

- “Hiding sword old man”- schizophrenic? This disease is a little too modern, isn’t it? To think that Raymond cures it with a needle, hurhur…

- The ghost doctor’s mother’s ‘blood transfusion’. I thought that looked silly as well. ><

The Chemistry:

Frankie and Tavia

This chemistry developed pretty slowly. To me, it was not too bad, not too good. Basically, it didn’t make much of a difference to the series.

Raymond and Selena

You can scroll up to my ‘love factors’ list to read again. J

Nancy and Derek

This was quite a nice love story, but I just don’t find Nancy and Derek the most perfect match. Anyway, I think in the original novel, both of them committed suicide to be together.


The Performance:

All in all, the performance in this series was acceptable. Even Selena, whom I very much feared, turned out fine. For this series, you are likely to place your attention on the interesting stories and the characters, not so much about the performance. However, I still want to mention Raymond. ~.~ I just love the way he shows his attitude, especially at the beginning.

Worth watching?

This series has its interesting moments and its cheesy moments. All in all, I enjoyed it very much.



2 comments:

frostbite said...

Just to keep my comments box active, I will post a little something here. Firstly, I hope everyone likes my review of FTF. Secondly, I have made many screenies from eps 13 all the way to ep 30. I will post them up soon. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

great review! i love tjose raymond lines too...soo funny...what a pity that they didnt put in that ray and selena scene


I'll be there with you, cuz you are my friend...

Hit Counter