Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Forensic Heroes Revies


Information

Cast: Bobby Au Yeung, Yoyo Mung, Frankie Lam, Linda Chung

Number of Episodes: 25

Producer: Mui Siu Ching

Themesong by: Frankie Lam

Released Date: June 2006 (HK and overseas)

The Story

The so-called tvb version of CSI, crimes, cases, lab techniques, action…

The Cases

There are some cases I like, some cases I don’t like. The cases which end up with ‘no-killer’ in the end are the ones I don’t really fancy, because they get a little tiresome to watch.

Djfrostbite’s favourites:

- The very first case, where a family of four got murdered. The suspect was not hard to guess, what he/she did was quite unbelievable, but I just enjoyed the whole process, and the end of episode 2 made me high. ~.~

- The serial rapist case, where the victim gets killed with a plastic bag. That man is sure perverted!

- The very last case, which lasted quite some episodes, as it took a few smaller cases to build it up. This case really made me excited. The suspect copies the scenes in Frankie’s novel to kill his/her victims. Many people died in this one, including…

Love Factors

Frankie Lam

I’m quite sure this is the first time I am putting Frankie in my ‘likes’ list, even though I never ‘disliked’ him. Is it Frankie who took so long to show his charm, or me who took so long to notice his charm? Anyway, Doctor Koo is my favourite character in the whole series. He is a smart and professional doctor, who also has his ‘artistic’ side—writing detective novels. In the past, he used to be a not-so-good teenager, but his sister changed him into a different person after one incident. From then on, Frankie is inspired to help all the bad youngsters turn good, and to carry on her sister’s will. One girl he managed to change is Natalie Tong. By the way, I really like the relationship between Frankie and Natalie, even though they are not lovers, even though it is very short-lived. Back to Frankie himself, Frankie is very charismatic in this series, unlike the usual ‘boring’ Frankie. Okay, I think I just repeated myself… Anyway, is this Frankie last series with TVB? It seems so, but I really hope not right now!

Yoyo Mung

Yoyo plays the strong and smart senior inspector in this series. I’m not sure how to describe this but I really like her in this series. When it comes to work, she is strong, and she is stubborn. When it comes to relationships, she is usually passive, but she can also be active at times. o.O Basically, I liked her character and her stylish performance, plus, I think Yoyo is really pretty in this series.

Dislike Factors

Linda Chung

Linda is way too hyper and too unnatural in this series. AND, she and Frankie have NO chemistry together. Their story reminds me of Francis and Myolie’s story in TITS. Myolie was the hyper young girl, Francis was the quiet old man. But comparing Myolie’s performance and Linda’s performance, hehe okay you don’t even want to compare them. ><

Background music

Am I the only one who feels that there are some scenes when the background music and the actions totally do NOT go? I keep feeling that the music is much ‘bigger’ than the scene itself. The best example are the scenes between Linda and Frankie, when Linda sprang-kiss Frankie in the car. They played some kind of circus music. Yeah, what kind of music is that?

Pity Factor: SPOILERS

Natalie Tong:

Natalie was a bad girl who turned over a new leaf. Unfortunately, she did not have much time to live as a good girl. She was murdered indirectly because of someone she admires the most: Frankie. You can consider this a ‘minor’ death, but I felt quite emotional about it …

Comments

The Performance

In Forensic Heroes, there is quite a lot to talk about regarding the performance, basically because there are LOADS of newcomers in this series, playing major or minor roles. Let’s talk about the more familiar ones first. Among them, I liked Yoyo and Frankie’s performance the most, like I mentioned above, one is stylish, one is charming. Bobby is a so-so for me, because I still prefer him as the funny kind. I’m also glad Florence Kwok and Astrid Chan made a come back, but their characters are nothing much to talk about. Hope to see more of them in future.

The Newcomers

Here comes the exciting part. I can divide the newcomers into 4 groups: the good, the neutral, the not-so-good, the horrendous

The Good: Fred Cheng, Natalie Tong, Charmaine Li

Among all the supporting characters, Fred is my favourite. Gosh he is SO cute! He is a smart boy, but too unconfident about himself, and that is what makes him so cute. I think I really like this guy now. Natalie Tong plays a not-so-good character this time, which proves her versatility as an actress. I think she is really talented. Charmaine’s character is pretty deceptive this time round, and her performance is pretty natural for a newcomer. This is the first time I’m watching her act ‘un-dubbed’, meaning, watching her speak Cantonese. I’m surprised what her real voice sounds like, and that is partially why I like her. Hehe

The Neutral: Vivian Yeo + Gang

Comparing the ‘Into Thin Air’ Vivian and the ‘Forensic Heroes’ Vivian, I like Vivian here a lot better. Her performance is acceptable for newcomer standard, and since she played a small role, it is less easy to find flaws. The same goes to the other two boys in Yoyo’s police team. Sometimes, you might even find them cute (not the tall one).

The not-so-good: Linda Chung

TVB is promoting Linda like crazy now, so I still choose to believe that Linda has something to show the audience some day. Forensic Heroes is just not her best piece of work.

The horrendous: Fala Chen

This is Fala’s debut, and she obviously cannot act, and does not possess much talent in acting. That is why her case was quite painful to watch. ><>

The Chemistry

Sadly, I simply can’t find a ‘favourite chemistry’ in the entire series, I’m talking about love chemistries by the way. Frankie and Linda is a big no-no for me, Bobby and Yoyo didn’t make me feel much either. I might pick Frankie and Yoyo instead, for their short lived love story. They were far more matching, and I loved their discussions about ‘oranges’. It cracks me up. Remember when Yoyo starts to like Frankie, and she said, “You are quite an orange”. That was so funny!

Favourite Scenes

- Frankie and Yoyo at the beach, dating. Here is their conversation— (vaguely remember)

Yoyo: I know who the killer in your novel is

Frankie: You finished reading it already?

Yoyo: Nope, I’m only at chapter 3, but I guessed it. The killer is always the most unnoticeable character

Frankie: Really, but what about the delivery boy (something like that), isn’t he unnoticeable as well?

Yoyo: Oh him, we all know that he is just a sidekick la

Frankie: *looks pissed*

- When Natalie died, and Frankie was opening her up, djfrostbite was sad ):

- The whole of the last case, it made me feel very high!

The Story

The story is really exciting at times, and not so interesting at times, but it is easy to get through the boring moments. All in all, I think the plot was not bad at all

Worth watching?

This is quite a good detective story, plus the lab techniques are really interesting to learn about, just do not place any high hopes on the relationship parts, and focus on the cases.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your review, I did not feel upset for skipping some episode of the series. I would blame it on Linda. Did not like the bubbly, hyper-active character. Or maybe just her. Did not finish ALways Ready as well...

Anonymous said...

I like your review ^^ I would agree on most parts of it =) There was absolutely no chemistry between Linda and Frankie..XD

frostbite said...

i'm glad someone finally broke the dangerous silence of my comments box! As for the chemistry, it maybe due to linda's limited acting skills, it might be because Frankie wasn't trying hard enough. Either way, hope to see more improvements from linda in future! Add oil! (:

Anonymous said...

yea..probably... ^^;

Anonymous said...

Come post some comments on my blog, and I'll post more at urs =P


I'll be there with you, cuz you are my friend...

Hit Counter