Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Review- Men In Pain

1-2 weeks ago, I finished watching Men In Pain. Today, after some thought, I decided to write a review for this series, because I'm starting to like writing reviews, and also because this series deserves to have a review written for it... =p

Information:
Title: Men In Pain
Cast: Damian Lau, Ron Ng, Louisa So, Toby Leung
Number Of Episodes: 21
Producer: Poon Ka Tak
Themesong by: -
Sub themesong by: Ron Ng

A few months ago, we had a series called “La Femme Desperado”, today, we have “Men In Pain”. Being a woman is ‘difficult’, being a man is ‘painful’. So, what should we be?


Love Factor

Ron Ng:

Emperor Hong Hei, that is his name. Ron is so useless at the beginning, so sweet at the end, and so adorable from the beginning to the end.

Like-to-mention Factor

“Ben”:

There is this guy in this series, who tries to win Louisa’s heart. His name is “Ah Ben”. He is the guy who plays a baddie/useless jerk in EVERY series he is in. It is good to see that he is moving out of his stereo type, and acted pretty charmingly in this series.

Dislike/Hate Factor

Toby Leung:

As much as I like Ron in this series, I dislike his co-star, Ms Toby Leung. The way Toby smiles is not pretty at all, the way Toby acts is too ‘meek’. (I’m not sure if this is the right word to use. She is just so ‘careful’ with every single line she delivers.) Maybe because I like the story between Hong Hei and Ko Fun, I would want a better actress to bring out its best…

Mr Macho- Rocky Cheng:

His character is worthless, his performance is torturous, his looks are… never mind -.-. This guy can NOT act for nuts. The producers just gave him some lines, which the whole plot can totally do without, but he is so huge, I just cannot ignore his presence…

Rebecca Chan:

This character is SO unreasonable! Anniversary is coming, and everyone is discussing who to win what. The best supporting female list is pretty sad this year, many people are saying Rebecca should win. Yes, I love her performance. But I dislike her character so much, I do not really want her to win. I think I’m getting too emotional haha, but I really pity her husband and son!

The Similarities: “Men” vs “La Femme”

You might think I am crazy to write a review using a TABLE. Maybe I am still in the ‘exam’ mode, and can’t get out of my obsession of drawing tables. Hehe. It eases your reading process anyway, so there…

“La Femme”

The Factor

“Men”

The pain which will haunt every single woman for decades- menstrual pain

The one health problem you will learn about

The pain which might not haunt every single man, but Damian happens to be one of the unlucky ones- impotence, due to the pressure from his job, his blur wife, his insensible son…

Sheren Teng, who wants the baby, doesn’t want the dad =p

The woman who does not believe in marriage

Florence Kwok, who has a boyfriend, and even a child, but simply refuses to get married. Poor Rex L

Melissa Ng, I don’t think she is as blur as Louisa

The blur woman who learns to be independant

Louisa So, I don’t think she is as smart as Melissa, but in a way, she is funnier.

Raymond Lam, who became all stressed-out after marrying a woman older and smarter than him; Why? He wants to show every one that he is smart

The ‘big-boy’ man who doesn’t know what responsibility is, until one day…

Ron Ng, who became all stressed-out as well, after becoming a father all of a sudden. Why? He does not want his child to starve. He wants his family to have a good life. Aww ~.~

Raymond’s mother, who grabs every chance to diss Melissa

The trouble-in-law, who cannot accept the fact that his/her child is married

Toby’s father, who grabs every chance to diss Ron, but I think he is a little nicer than Raymond’s mother

“Lap Sam Hap Po”, the sushi shop

The favourite haunt

“Lap Sam Hap Po”, the sushi shop. Gosh, they even got the same guy to act as the sushi master in both series!

Anyway, this table is NOT here to discourage you from watching Men In Pain. Both LFD and MIP have different story which are great in their own ways. This table is just… for fun ><

Favourite Scenes:

There are quite some great scenes, but I can’t remember them all…

- The two scenes when Ron Ng and Johnson Lee pretend to be gay. HAHA

- A very short scene, when Louisa was struggling with the treadmill, until she was totally hanging on the railing. That was so short, but so funny!

The Comments: Storyline

Before I got past the first 5 episodes, I was actually thinking of giving up the series, because I didn’t find anything about it interesting. It felt very much like a ‘mediacorp family/auntie drama’. (My Singapore readers might/will understand what I am talking about) Afterwards, the story got better, until I found myself totally loving this series. The story was very refreshing and interesting, and you slowly step into the shoes of all the characters. The feeling is great ~.~ BUT, I still cannot understand, why must this series be 21-episode long? The 21st episode was draggy and unnecessary. What were the producers thinking? Isn’t 20 a nicer number?

The Comments: Performance

I think every part of the cast did a great job and created good chemistry with everyone else. All except Toby Leung and Mr Macho.

The Comments: Chemistry

As I have said, the whole cast created good chemistry with one another, from the leading to the supporting. If we’re talking about love relationships, Damian and Louisa did share some great chemistry and memorable scenes together. Ron and Toby is a big no-no for me, mostly due to Toby herself. I can’t believe we are watching them pair up again in the upcoming Sui Yuet Fung Wan. Are Ron fans willing to give her another chance?

The Verdict:

This series IS worth watching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought another funny scene was when Damien was telling Toby about getting an abortion, and he was using the analogy with the pimple-popping >.< Damien's expressions and hand gestures were hilarious!

frostbite said...

Haha, yes yes! Thanks for reminding me abt that one. Poor Damian, became seen as the bad guy after that!


I'll be there with you, cuz you are my friend...

Hit Counter