Thursday, November 23, 2006

Real Kung Fu review

Information

Cast: Yuen Biu, Maggie Siu, Leung Ka Yan, Lau Ka Fai, Yuen Biu, Timmy Hung, Jack Wu, Charmaine Li, Selena Li
Number of Episodes: 20
Producer: Chung Wai Kin
Themesong by: Alan Tam
Released Date: Anniversary Series 2005

The story:

“Wing-Chun”, is a very famous art of kung-fu practised by Bruce Lee, whom we all know. This series tells you the story about Bruce’s great-grand master Leung Zan. In this series, he meets many different people, some are his friend, some are his foe, some teach him important lessons, some give him nothing but trouble. He is a legendary kungfu master who was not only good at fighting, but also has a good character which we all should learn from…

Love Factor:

The ones who can fight
Real Kung Fu has a very unique cast. Like the title suggests, most of the cast knows REAL Kung Fu in REAL life. No cheesy computer effects, only 100% real fighting, which is very impressive to watch. Even though I don’t like Yuen Biu’s face and acting, he really can fight. Lau Ka Fai, Yuen Wah and Derek Kwok are also awesome. But my one and only favourite is Mr Leung Ka Yan. I love his ‘fadan’ style, and his arrogant but kind character, just love him so much!

Jack Wu
For those of you who complain that there are no ‘cute guys’ in this series, don’t forget Jack Wu! Ooo I just love him so much in this series! He plays the ‘fadan’ character really well. Feminine, shy, but extremely cute!

Don’t-care factor: the plot
I can’t say the plot is bad, because compared to the lovey-dovey WFH storyline, Real Kung Fu is slightly better. However, you still shouldn’t expect too much from the plot, because it is very typical, and very forgettable. The typical Qing dynasty series: a murder case which the busybody main character cannot stop investigating about, bringing himself lots of trouble, the smuggling of opium, the ‘black’ shop which does ‘dirty’ business, the rich family which is very stupid, some corrupted figures from the imperial court, PLUS, for all I care, the worthless love relationships. These are the most typical elements to each Qing Dynasty series, and the writer of RKF didn’t manage to make it stand out in any way, unlike in Find The Light. I remember, when I saw the scene where Charmaine and gang went to burn the opium house, I told myself, ‘Gosh, I saw that warehouse too many times!’ Nevertheless, it was still an acceptable story.

Dislike Factor

Yuen Biu+ Maggie Siu
I really do not like this pairing. It just feels too weird and unnatural. I even prefer to watch the scenes where Selena pesters Yuen Biu. Yuen Biu and Maggie Siu simply do not match.

Charmaine vs Jack vs Timmy
I do not like pointless love triangles (these days, most of them are pointless). I do not like the concept of love triangles at all, not to mention how OVERUSED it is. I think this part of the plot is really unnecessary, and adds a lot of boredom and sissy-ness to the series.

Worth watching?
Just watch this series for the cast and appreciate their solid fighting. Other than that, just don’t expect too much from the rest of the story, and you will be fine. (:

No comments:


I'll be there with you, cuz you are my friend...

Hit Counter