Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Raymond Lam- 2006 Review

We're approaching the tvb anniversary, and also the end of the year. Unlike last year, we, Raymond fans got to watch quite a few of his series this year, which is great! (Even though 2005-YY still remains my all-time favourite) I enjoyed ALL 3 series he starred in this year. Now, let's do a quick recap on each one of them.

Lethal Weapons Of Love And Passion (Released: Jan 2006)
Character's Name: Fung Hang Lit

Character Review: I love how the series starts off with Fung Hang Lit losing his memory, and slowly getting it back. It creates a lot of suspense about his dark and traumatic past. Later on, Fung Hang Lit also became the one, who brings hope to all the Mongolians, the one who unite the Mongolians, the one who can give the Mongolians the dignity they have lost, and the one who can put an end to the hatred between the two races. Meanwhile, because of this identity, Fung Hang Lit is torn between his responsibility, and his Hans friends, and also the woman of his life, Chun Mung Yiu. From the beginning to the end, this character was a tragic hero, fooled and tortured by his own destiny. For that, you will love him, you will pity him, you will honour him.















Performance: A very different Raymond from the usual one you see. Very gentlemanly, very calm, but also very dark. Sometimes, he might get a little too melancholy and too dark. But all in all, it was an awesome charismatic performance, which really brought out the spirit and soul of Fung Hang Lit.

Lover: Charmaine She and Sonjia Kwok
I don't have much to say about Sonjia Kwok. I don't think they match, I don't think they have chemistry. As for Charmaine+Raymond, whoo, I SO loved it. Their love was subtle, but their love was also deep. I still prefer Charray's lively chemistry in YY, but this was still a great, tragic love story.













Other Co-stars: Bosco Wong, Derek Kwok
I did enjoy seeing Bosco and Raymond together. Bosco was the one who gave out all his heart, Raymond was the one who really treasured Bosco as a friend, but simply had too many secrets to hide. Let's talk about the Raymond-Derek relationship. It is a really unique and touching relationship. Derek can be a friend, a servant, an advisor, a father, or an enemy to Raymond. Something like the Neo-Morpheus realtionship in the Matrix. In the end, Derek still died to save Raymond. Very emotional! This awesome partnership is truly worth remembering!














The Series itself: 4.5/5
The whole touch of the series was very beautiful, the characters are well-crafted, the storyline was good (besides some slow moments in the middle, and some confusing parts at the end).

La Femme Desperado
Character Name: Chai Foon aka Siu Chai

Character Review: Charming at the beginning, childish in the middle, ridiculous at the end. If you still remember my review for LFD a month or so ago, you should know that I do not have so much positive feelings about the character Siu Chai. However, I still want to remember how awesome Siu Chai was at the beginning. So smart, so witty, so stylish, so devoted, so hot ~.~ Among FHL, CF and LYY, CF is my least favourite. Or you can say, 'the worst among the best'. Hehe. Anyway, this one earned Raymond his anniversary standing, so a round of applause nevertheless!

Performance: If you watched LWOLAP, and then come to watch this, you will realise this: wow, HUGE difference! One is so quiet, one is so hyper. Raymond's versatility really wins us over. I did like Raymond's performance here. Raymond is so good at acting hot and cute, he does it with his own style, and you can't help giving your heart to him. (Don't you think some hot/cute guys in other TV dramas are so factory-made?)

Lover: Melissa Ng, Cindy Au
I don't think anyone bothered to remember Raymond Lam's unmemorable relationship with Cindy Au, me neither. ><>
Face To Fate
Character Name: Lai Yeuk Yee

Character Review: Okay, here comes, my favourite Raymond character of 2006! Raymond's character is just so cool and entertaining! I love his attitude, I love how he likes to say everything piss everyone off, I love how he craves for women and wine and gambling. This is a very atypical, a little eccentric character. And because of that, I totally love him.
Performance:
Raymond is the best at showing attitude problems. He suited his character really well, bringing the best out of this cool character.

Lover: Selena Lee
This is a big surprise good chemistry of the year. A weird doctor+ a tactful lady boss= a unique/awesome combination. All the bickering, all the exchange of witty lines brought us great joy. Right from the beginning, I started to like them, and was able to put aside all the sore feelings that Raymond and Tavia weren't paired up (I am a fungyi fan), and appreciate this chemistry with all my heart. (:
Other co-stars: Frankie Lam, Tsang Wai Kuen
Frankie and Raymond are awesome partners. I just love seeing them work or talk together. Raymond and the ghost doctor had an insignificant but worth-remembering little relationship. From enemies to friends and then back to enemies, it feels a little sad that Raymond had to kill him in the end...
The Series Itself: 4.5/5
Awesome beginning, messy ending. Gosh what is with that? I have given the same comment for the 2 series above as well! Looks like tvb is really good at doing the 'tiger head, snake tail' thing.

The Best And The Worst:

Favourite Character: (in order)
1) Lai Yeuk Yee
2) Fung Hang Lit
3) Siu Chai

Favourite Performance:
1) LWOLAP
2) don't know how to rank FTF and LFD

Favourite co-star:
don't know how to rank at all. I liked all Charm, Melissa and Selena

Favourite singing performance:
1) LWOLAP sub
2) LWOLAP themesong
3) FTF themesong (interesting song)

Least Favourite singing performance:
1) Vagabond Vigilant themesong (terrible song!)

An eventful year 2006 for all Raymond series-fans. All the best for 2007
!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this review...nice job =D

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say my favourite Raymond characte would have to be him in Face to fate ^^ And best pairing with Selena.

I didn't quite liking the Charmaine and Raymond pairing in LWOLAP. Hardly found any chemistry even though heaps out there love this couple. I can't really understand why at all. I don't think Mong Yiu deserves him.

Its quite funny to see him paired up with Melissa, someone older than him lol

frostbite said...

Maybe because Raymond and Charmaine are the quiet kind of lovers, so it is not so easy to win the heart of the audience. I think their whole love story and chemistry was very beautiful , and a little bittersweet. Somehow, it appeals to me. I think each of us has our own taste (:

As for Melissa being older than Ray, that is the whole point of the story! :D

Hope you guys enjoyed my review. More coming up soon (:


I'll be there with you, cuz you are my friend...

Hit Counter